Wall and Ceiling Vapor Barriers
Wall and Ceiling Vapor Barriers are an effective way to reduce moisture infiltration. These vapor barriers are typically installed on the inside of the outer wall between the interior surface. Lacking a vapor barrier will cause warm interior air to meet cold air from the outside walls. Condensation forms in these conditions, making it the ideal environment for the growth of harmful mold and bacteria.
To protect your projects consider using high-quality wall and ceiling vapor barriers, insulation barriers, and fire retardant plastic sheeting from Americover.
What Type of Vapor Barrier is Recommended for Walls and Ceilings?
Not all plastic sheeting materials can be considered a vapor barrier for walls and ceilings. Builders using plastic sheeting must meet certain requirements for this application:
- Standard 6 mil thickness polyethylene plastic sheeting
- Must meet ASTM requirements
- Must be Class A and maintain a 0.1 permeability
- Must be puncture-resistant
What Does Permeability Mean?
Builders need to use plastic sheeting with a permeability rating of less than 1 to use as a vapor barrier. View the graph to the right to learn more about perm ratings for plastic sheeting or watch a tutorial video here.
Wall Vapor Barrier Placement
Different climate zones will require vapor barriers in certain areas during construction. Below is a list of placements in specific climates where a builder should use a vapor barrier:
- Areas with very cold climates – between insulation and wallboard
- Areas with high humidity – greenhouses, bathrooms
- Very hot and humid climates – at the exterior wall
- Below-grade walls or slabs – against the permeable surface
- Crawl spaces – directly above the exposed ground
High Quality Wall and Ceiling Vapor Barriers
String Reinforced Plastic Sheeting Products
Dura-Skrim® Reinforced Plastic Sheeting products are heavy-duty construction films for indoor and outdoor applications. View our selection of Dura-Skrim® products below.
Fire Retardant String Reinforced Plastic Sheeting
Dura-Skrim® Fire Retardant Reinforced Plastic Sheeting is a puncture-resistant construction film reinforced with a layer of polyester scrim to prevent tearing.
Radiant Barrier Insulation Products
Barrier insulation products are used to reflect heat for roofing systems, new or retrofit house-wraps, radiant heat flooring, and OEMs. View our selection of products below.
Tuff Scrim™ Reinforced Poly Sheeting
Tuff-Scrim Poly reinforced plastic sheeting is available in 6 mil, 8 mil, 12 mil, 14 mil, and 20 mil. It has a high-strength cord grid between layers of lldpe film to provide a heavy-duty material.
VaporBlock® 20 Plus
If you require a radon barrier, we recommend the 20 mil VAPORBLOCK® PLUS vapor barrier. It is a duel-sided gold and white, seven-layer, coextruded barrier with EVOH resins resistant to radon, methane, and moisture transmission.
A continuous wall and ceiling vapor barrier is the most effective against moisture control, but in most cases the material has to be cut to size, so using the appropriate tape to overlap seams and seal holes is very important. Americover supplies 2 Sided Butyl Tape as well as Vapor Tape for these applications.
Check out our online selection of specialty plastic building solutions. Contractors and distributors are eligible for special pricing and volume-based discounts on select products, call us at 760-237-8786. Our online inventory is just our retail selection, which means we can often source items you may not see here.
Contractors and Builders Talk About Americover
When you partner with Americover, you benefit from our industry and product application knowledge. But don’t take it from us. Take it from those in the building industry who have relied on our quality and reliability over the years.
Fire Retardant Sheeting
The materials we selected exceeded the level of quality and durability we required. The service provided by Americover made it a pleasure doing business. We will use Americover again.
Your product has done wonders in our crawlspace...huge difference in humidity control. And so clean looking.
We've used Americover for over seven years and couldn't be happier with the products and the service. Even when there have been extremely short lead times, they've pulled through for us and made arrangements that allowed us to perform our jobs.
Wall & Ceiling Vapor Barrier Resources
- What is Crawl Space Encapsulation Plastic? 26 January, 2023 The key to a healthy and long-lasting building project is protection from the elements, beginning at the base. Crawl space encapsulation plastic is a simple way to meet compliance requirements and avoid expensive repairs to building walls in the future. Crawl space liners last 10+ years, cutting your cost of…
- Vapor Barrier 101: What Not To Do 10 November, 2022 A vapor barrier is a crucial material for building projects under concrete slabs, in crawl spaces, for gas and radon mitigation, for mold barriers, and for other uses. Vapor barriers are valuable tools when used properly because of their low permeability, but vapor barriers are not meant for every use…
- What is ASTM E96, and Which Vapor Retarder Does it Require? 6 October, 2022 Vapor Retarders, once thought of as convenient tools for construction projects, are now codified as mandatory materials to have in the foundation of commercial and residential buildings. As a builder or contractor, choosing the best high quality vapor retarder for concrete slab foundations can be overwhelming. When using vapor retarders…