The Highest Quality Crawl Space Vapor Barrier
When using plastic sheeting to encapsulate a crawl space, it’s important to use a product that can be classified as a vapor barrier. Most inexpensive plastic sheeting or visqueen options on the market are often compounded of mostly recycled resins which can contain a lot of debris and contamination which can cause off-gassing, as well as shorten the lifespan of the liner causing it to degrade much faster. That plastic is typically used in temporary applications and not designed to be used long-term as a vapor barrier in your crawl space.
Americover’s selection of crawl space encapsulation vapor barriers and liners are manufactured in America with virgin resins and UV inhibitors, and if installed properly it should last up to 20 years or more.
Quality Vapor Barriers
Multi-layered, extrusion laminated & reinforced
Tear resistance for increased service life
Meet or exceed ASTM specifications
Low permeance barrier (<0.03)
Class A permeance rating
Prevents unpleasant odors
Eliminates moisture damage
Improves indoor air quality
Prevents of structural damage
Reduces pest infestations
How Do you Measure for a Crawl Space Vapor Barrier?
To measure your crawl space for a vapor barrier you will need to take the following measurements:
• Length of crawl space
• Width of crawl space
• Height of the foundation walls, or as high up on the walls you are going to encapsulate
• Perimeter Length of the entire space (length + width) multiplied by 2
Since most crawl spaces are less than 4′ tall, using a 4′ or 6′ wide vapor barrier for the walls will keep the seams to a minimum. Watch a tutorial about how to calculate the square footage of your crawlspace.
Which Mil Thickness is Right for Your Crawl Space?
The chart to the left will help you understand which mil thickness is best for your crawl space. 6 mil is the standard recommendation, but we advise you to take into consideration the following conditions:
- Ground conditions
- Traffic frequency
- Radon presence
- Geographical location
Discover which liner is best for your crawl space in this video.
Our Featured Crawl Space Vapor Barriers
Pro Crawl Anti-Mold Vapor Barrier with MPT™️️
Pro Crawl Anti-Mold Vapor Barrier is a class 1 vapor barrier that passes ASTM E1745 class A, B, & C. Its perm rating blocks more vapor transmission than the leading competitor’s 10 mil vapor barrier with a permeance of only .022 perms.
Pro Crawl Barrier
Pro Crawl Barrier is a 10 mil Class 1 Vapor Barrier with a high gloss white finish offering low permeability and excellent tensile strength to protect the building fabric from moisture vapor damage. Roll size is 10′ x 100′.
20 Mil Dura-Skrim® Reinforced Plastic Sheeting
20 Mil Dura-Skrim® white reinforced plastic sheeting is a heavy duty construction and agricultural film designed for both indoor and outdoor applications requiring an exceedingly strong material.
12 Mil Dura-Skrim® Reinforced Plastic Sheeting
12 Mil White/Black Dura-Skrim® Reinforced Plastic Sheeting is a heavy duty construction and agricultural film excellent for both indoor and outdoor applications requiring an exceptionally strong material.
8 Mil Dura-Skrim® Reinforced Plastic Sheeting
8 mil Dura-Skrim® reinforced plastic sheeting is a heavy duty, lightweight construction and agricultural film that can be used in a variety of indoor or outdoor applications requiring a durable, long lasting material.
6 mil White Dura-Skrim® Reinforced Plastic Sheeting
6 Mil Dura-Skrim® white reinforced plastic sheeting is a heavy duty construction and agricultural film designed for both indoor and outdoor applications requiring an exceedingly strong material.
Our Featured Crawl Space Vapor Barrier Accessories
White Vapor Tape is a heavy duty, weather resistant tape often used to seam large panels of poly sheeting together for vapor retarders, crawl space liners, covers and other liner applications. This tape is sold in individual rolls of 4″ x 180′.
2-Sided Butyl Tape
Double sided butyl tape is an insoluble tape with an aggressive adhesive that bonds plastic sheeting to porous surfaces such as concrete in crawl spaces. The waterproof bond adheres best when the application surface is clean and dry.
Christmas Tree Ratchet Fasteners are made of heavy duty nylon with a 1/4″ diameter, flat white head and conical tip. Ratchet fasteners are used to attach vapor barriers to the foundation wall & are available in packs of 100 pieces or 500 pieces.
Have more questions about crawl space encapsulation vapor barrier products or projects? Give us a call at 760-237-8786 to speak with one of our representatives. Monday-Friday 6am-6:30pm PST.
Americover gets your products to you when and where you need them
Contractors fight enough delays: weather, equipment failures, labor shortages, subcontractor delays. What you don’t need are essential products like vapor barriers failing to arrive on time. For over 25 years, Americover has built a proud reputation by getting contractors their products when and where they need them. From the point that you first consider our products, we offer you a long-lasting and comprehensive partnership.
Americover stands by its products
Americover built its reputation by providing outstanding building products and exceptional service. On the rare occasion a product is shipped with a defect, our warranty assures you we will stand by that product and make it right.
Americover has the right crawl space vapor barrier product for your project
Americover offers a variety of crawl space encapsulation liners that prevent moisture migration, increase energy efficiency, and reduce pest infestations.
Contractors and Builders Talk About Americover
When you partner with Americover, you benefit from our industry and product application knowledge. But don’t take it from us. Take it from those in the building industry who have relied on our quality and reliability over the years.
Fire Retardant Sheeting
The materials we selected exceeded the level of quality and durability we required. The service provided by Americover made it a pleasure doing business. We will use Americover again.
Your product has done wonders in our crawlspace...huge difference in humidity control. And so clean looking.
We've used Americover for over seven years and couldn't be happier with the products and the service. Even when there have been extremely short lead times, they've pulled through for us and made arrangements that allowed us to perform our jobs.
Check out our online selection of specialty plastic building solutions. Contractors and distributors are eligible for special pricing and volume-based discounts on select products, call us at 760-237-8786. Our online inventory is just our retail selection, which means we can often source items you may not see here.
Crawl Space Resources
Americover’s Product Catalog
Browse our full inventory of vapor barrier and crawl space encapsulation liner products.
Conversion Calculators for Easy Measurements
We’re doing the math for you! Get started with our easy-to-use conversion calculators.
Crawl Space Product Line Card
Get the specific details on each of our products for the perfect application for every job.
Crawl Space Product Accessories Line Card
Get the right accessories for your crawl space encapsulation job.
How to Install a Crawl Space Vapor Barrier
Americover’s crawl space vapor barriers and liners are manufactured in America with virgin resins and uv inhibitors, if installed properly it should last up to 20 years or more. Purchasing at your local hardware store may be less expensive and more convenient, but it is likely to be compounded mostly of recycled resins containing a lot of debris and contamination which can cause off gassing, as well as shorten the lifespan of the liner causing it to degrade much faster, and requiring it to be replaced much sooner than anticipated. For more information on Virgin poly vs Regrind visit our Blog.
1. Cut the Vapor Barrier to size. The vapor barrier liner comes folded and rolled on a core. It is easier to cut and size the liner material before you take it into the crawlspace. After the material is cut to size roll it up (white side on the inside) so when you unroll it in your crawlspace it stays clean.
a. To cut the Floor Pieces, measure and cut a piece of vapor barrier liner material wide enough to cover the floor from the wall to the 1st line of piers or support then proceed to measure and cut the remaining floor pieces.
i. IMPORTANT: Don’t forget to measure enough material to seal an overlap of 6-12 inches on the wall pieces and pieces beside it.
b. For the Wall, keep the seams to a minimum by using a 4 ft or 6ft wide vapor barrier, since most crawlspaces are less than 4′ tall.
2. Start with the walls. To attach the liner, apply the 2 sided butyl tape 4 inches – 6 inches down from the top of the wall or sill plate. (This is to leave a space for pest inspection). *Do not remove the release liner on the exposed side of the tape until you are ready to attach the liner. (It may be easier to first apply the butyl tape to the vapor barrier, and remove the release liner as you are applying it to the wall.) otherwise, remove the release paper from the butyl tape in about 4 feet – 6 feet increments.
3. Fasten the Liner with some type of permanent fastener every 24 – 30 inches. The fasteners should go through both the material and the butyl tape. This can be accomplished by one of the following methods:
a. Use a Hilti
b. Use a Ramset Powder Fastener
c. Drill a 5/16″ hole and press in our Christmas Tree Ratchet Fasteners
4. Installing Vapor Barrier on the Floor. Starting at the piers or support posts, cut and notch the vapor barrier on both sides of the support about 6-12 inches above the ground. Wrap the vapor barrier to fit tightly around the support, and use the 4 inch white Vapor Tape to seal the material.
5. Smooth the liner out from the supports to the wall and tape the seams with the 4″ White Vapor Tape.
a. Overlap the Seams 6 inches to 12 inches.
b. You may remove your footwear or use disposable shoe covers to keep the vapor barrier liner clean.
- Best Vapor Barriers 7 April, 2022 Vapor barriers are essential for containing moisture build-up and preventing damage to foundations and walls. This plastic sheeting is most commonly installed in areas prone to excessive moisture such as crawl spaces, basements, and under concrete. With so many options on the market, it can be difficult to know which…
- Contractors Love Buying Plastic Sheeting From Americover 15 April, 2021 Americover has been the trusted source for plastic sheeting by contractors for over 25 years. Serving our loyal community of builders is one of the things we do best! We asked some of our customers about their experiences working with Americover; read their thoughts below. High Quality Plastic Sheeting Americover’s…
- Crawl Space Code Requirements For Vapor Barriers 15 September, 2022 Because a large percentage of breathable air in a residential building comes from the crawl space, it is crucial to use a vapor barrier in your encapsulation that meets crawl space code requirements. Air ventilation and moisture control are critical components of keeping a crawl space free from mold, mildew,…
For Contractors and Distributors, we offer special pricing, volume discounts, short lead times and a dedicated account manager who will work with you to get exactly what you need. If you would like to speak with a representative, contact us at 760-237-8786.